My Adobe

my life according to me...

Wednesday, August 04, 2004

There's been some leaving-the-net-for-good business these days. It makes me sad. Although I've never met these people in my life, I still feel like I know them personally. I guess I shouldn't get attached to people like I do, but really, can you control something like that? I highly doubt so. Well, I guess we just need to move on and put things in the past.

On a message board, someone had made a thread asking about how we came to Islam and it really had me thinking about my own life and what my circumstances were. I'll write what I wrote there, but add a little bit more. It was last year that I became genuinely interested in Islam, and it happened sort of accidently, really. I mean, I was born Muslim but often times I took Islam for granted and didn't take the time to understand it. It didn't have any significant meaning in my life, and to me was almost equivalent to my cultural identity. I was always a good girl, but kind of fluky when it came to came to Islam and didn't care to improve myself as a Muslim.

They say the net's good for nothing, but for me personally, it's played a big role in Islam becoming a part of my life. I stumbled across some website about Islam and soon I began visiting it every single day in hopes of reading the new articles that were posted. At first I didn't admit to myself what was happening, but I realized that religion started to make sense to me and became of relevance. Soon enough I became extremely interested in religion. I found a few Islamic forums and just by reading what people said, became inspired and whatnot. I began praying, reading the Qu'ran, observing hijab, etc. My parents were surprised as heck, but of course, I still have a long, long way to go. The journey never ends, right?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salamz Ruby, you know what I don't think you can help but get accustomed to some ppl like you just mentioned. I think the net's a good place for some ez well. There are many sites that have taught me more about Islam and I'm thankful for that :)
We do get closer to completing the journey, but ya it never ends cuz you find there's so much more to learn :)
tc
Ally

August 4, 2004 at 1:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's difficult not to get attached. These ppl, even though they are on the net, tend to become closer than the friends we have in real life :s. Odd, yes.

Really a great post.

Aida.

August 4, 2004 at 1:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"These ppl, even though they are on the net, tend to become closer than the friends we have in real life "

I couldn't agree more with you , its just so true and weird. And its because there is a rare chance that you'll meet up with that person plus its much easier to communicate without seeing .

August 4, 2004 at 5:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way , please dont leave the net !!

August 4, 2004 at 5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home